Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 May 2003 10:25:30 -0500
William Schults <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The problem began with a user who was using "mulitpart/alternative".
> This generated hundreds of extraneous characters, more than doubling
> the size of the message, and filling it with junk which rendered the
> message nearly unreadable.  I tried urging this user to set his
> options to "plain text."  His response was (basically), "hunh?"

Listowners frequently have to be mini-helpdesk support people.
What email program is the user using?  You might need to give him "point
here, click here" instructions for changing his settings.

It's part and parcel to being a listowner.

> It seemed to work OK for a couple of days.  My multipart user is
> posting away and ListServ is stripping him down to plain text.  My
> "enriched text" posters were getting messages through as well, also
> stripped to plain text.  This had the added advantage of fixing a
> problem I was having with ListServ refusing to attach the Bottom
> Banner to anything but plain text postings (since now they're all
> converted to plain text, no problem).

It's my understanding that "enriched text" is in fact, HTML.

Chris Barnes                                       AOL IM: CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                            Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Computer Systems Manager                               ph: 979-845-7801
Department of Physics                                 fax: 979-845-2590
Texas A&M University