Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:51:04 -0500
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, easily distracted (Linda?) wrote:
> someone on our list forged headers to make it appear that the posts were
> coming from 2 different posters. now, he did a lousy job, so even my
> mother could figure it out, but he also admitted it onlist with a fairly
> so-what, f-you attitude. the people invovled want him kicked off the list.
> my inclination is to do so.

Well, first off, what sort of list header do you have which would allow him
to do this?  You might think about changing your list header so that this
cannot be done.

As to kicking the person off the list, well, send a posting to the list
explaining why such behavior is not acceptable, so please don't do it,
without naming anyone.  Send a private message to the person in question
telling him that he will be banned from the list if he engages in such
again.  Then enforce it (which may require changing your list header).

It is difficult to advise in such situations without knowing the list and
the exchanges on same;  what is a vigorously defended position which some
subscribers simply don't like (kick him off! he doesn't agree with us!) and
what is abuse of the list for the sake of abuse.  That the person is
spoofing addresses might indicate the later but not knowing the details I
wouldn't want to say for sure without more info. (Sorry for the waffling.
I'm currently in the middle of a three month stint on a state district
court grand jury and if I ain't satisfied with the evidence presented for a
case, either way, I call for more, which is what I generally do anyway, but
the g.j. stuff just makes that tendency more marked.)

Douglas Winship