Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:52:28 EDT
True, the numbers don't match in any way that is meaningful to the listowner.
There are really two numbers in play here - one is the OK code the moderator
types in to approve the post and the other is a code internal to LISTSERV
which identifies the post -- a job number, I guess it could be called.

LISTSERV echos back its internal job number in response to your OK -- it
doesn't echo back your OK code itself.  I don't quite understand the point
of echoing back the job number since it really doesn't mean anything to the
moderator, but according to a far earlier post from Eric, it's working as
designed.

And before you ask, there's no easy way to to match the two.  The posts are
stored by this internal job number and a LISTSERV maintainer would have to
do a decent amount of rummaging around to find which OK code corresponds to
which post, either by searching logs or by searching files where this (and
other) information is kept.  This is nothing a list owner can do and perhaps
beyond what most maintainers will be willing to do.

Bill