Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:59:01 -0800
> On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Brian Crawford wrote:
> > I have a list (WORLD-SERIES) that I would like to shut down until the 1997
> > baseball playoffs start next September.  The whole premise of the list was
> > that it was created only to talk about the 1996 baseball playoffs and World
> > Series. It was successful and we plan to do the same thing next year.
> > What I would prefer to do is keep all my current subscribers, but have the
> > list "deactivated" until we need it again. Here's what I was thinking about
> > doing:
> >
> > 1.      Set all current subscribers to nopost and nomail

Winship replied:

>   It would be simpler to change the header to Send= Owner, wouldn't it?
>   No one but you could post to the list, but you could still send a note
>   from time to time if you thought it appropriate.

Makes much sense ...

> > 2.      Change the list to *Subscribe= by owner

Is it not Subscribe=Closed or maybe you want people to enroll in advance
for next year championship ?

> > 4.      Change the Welcome file to explain the situation
>     That would be a good idea.
If you don't close the sub until the list is active again, it's almost a
necessity... If you sub someone now, you may get back some "I never
sub'ed to that F***ing list" when you go up again next year ...

Renew=someweeks_before_the_World_series
as suggested is also a good thing or make it a Yearly thing around this
date (if it is not already done ;-)

You can also set the Auto-delete to yes,full-auto won't get bothered by
much bounces (I recently went down from 2000-4000 to below a 100 a
day)...

I wonder if it is possible to "freeze" a list by GETting it and never
PUTting it back ? In a perfect world the list should stay LOCKed all the
time. Isn't sub/unsub and option mods prevented when the list is LOCKed
?

Only my .0145$US (.02$CAN)

PS Brian: You'll never hear me about the Expos on this list, I don't
follow baseball ;-)

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L