Susan King <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 20:26:57 -0600
I am getting really frustrated with the version of listserv currently running
at eWorld.. and don't know where the problem is... but here goes some venting.

1) I had an aol subscriber whose mail was bouncing. Three weeks ago I deleted
the user.. got the comfirmation... but yet.. current digests continued to
bounce.

In fact I did a scan again a day ago... and the aol subscriber is NOT on the
JewishGen list...

Yet, I have current digests bouncing..

What gives!!

2) I got a notification that a user who sent a post to the listserv was SERVED
OUT... not knowing what that meant... I asked.. and sent the SERVE command to
the listserv... and got back.. you guessed it.. the USER had not been served
out. Sometimes I think I am losing it!!!

3) I have a subscriber who has evidently FORWARDED his mail to a compuserve
account and has the # sign preceding his address... letters to compuserve and
to the address (sans the # sign) has yielded nothing... I can't delete the user
since he/she isn't on the mailing list under that address and no telling who
they are... I have sent email to every postmaster in the PATH line... with no
response... I have scanned the list for every site in the Path line.. with
nothing! Is there anyway to get rid of these error messages at some point..
isn't worth the bandwidth??

4) Would someone explain to me what the SERVED OUT means... I have another user
who apparently is served out...and having not sent the SERVE command, to find
they weren't SERVED out to begin with.... perhaps there is a meaning to these
bouncing errors that I don't understand.

5) I get daily error reports with addresses which do NOT match any that are
subscribers...  exactly... I have one that has been on there for months...
[log in to unmask] I have several Adam's but none of them at that address.
How do you delete a subscriber that doesn't exist????

The JewishGen list exceeds 1100 subscribers now... so whatever we can do to
facilitate things... would be greatly appreciated. I know I am not crazy about
getting bounces from users whose subscriptions I can't find... and whose subs
were deleted weeks ago... but yet mail is continually being sent out to them
and it is current mail... not old mail trying to get delivered.

Any help on any of the above items would be greatly appreciated.

Susan E. King ([log in to unmask])