Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 09:47:43 EST
On Fri, 12 Jan 1996 19:47:42 -0600 Winship said:

>You cannot please everyone.  Those who want many small digests should
>probably set themselves to MAIL rather than DIGESTS, I mean, what's the point
>of a lot of little digests (to me, 1000 is a miniscule digest).

It isn't when you consider the fact that there are still a lot of gateway
hosts out there that truncate anything going through them that's longer
than 1000 or 1500 lines.  If J. Random User isn't getting all of his
10000 line digest, then you have to balance sending out multiple 1000 or
1500 line digests so everyone gets everything, or sending out one huge
digest once a day and having people complain that they didn't get the
whole thing.  If you're lucky, you won't have the problem, but it rarely
works that way.

>Sometimes listowners just have to *tell* the subscribers "this is the way it
>is, and that's it."  Set the limit to whatever works best and inform the
>subscribers ex post facto.

This I will agree with, to the point that a majority of users are screaming
at you to change it back.  I think a list owner has to be at least <that>
flexible.  I'd rather reverse a change than lose a substantial percentage
of my readership just because I was hardheaded.

Nathan