Tue, 14 Feb 1995 23:23:53 -0600
Norm, I really do not understand your objection to a printed LISTSERV
listowner's manual.  I certainly have not, nor do I think anyone who
supports me has, advocated the printed form in place of the online form.
Rather, we want a choice, and we're willing to pay for it, and those who
prefer the online documentation at no extra monetary cost are welcome to
go that way (heck, I'ld probably use both).

You wondered why I (and others) would be willing to pay for something
freely available, since we can print the stuff out if we prefer a printed
form.  Well, I pay, out of my pocket, either way.  I pay for access
(admitedly a very nominal fee) and everyting I print is printed by my
personal printer, using my paper, so that is cash out of my pocket to
start with, no way to get around it.  If I want it printed in a particular
format, arranged a certain way, etc., I have to do it myself, and that
takes time, which is at a premium.  If I can purchase a good,
comprehensive, *authoritative* printed manual, with a *good* index and
updates as appropriate, I am quite willing to pay for it, but I would not
want it to preclude the online documentation.  I don't want either/or, I
want both.  If it came down to either/or, I would also choose the online
material.

As a purely personal reason for wanting a good printed manual, well
layed out and indexed, my vision is not the greatest, and it is much
easier for me to deal with a well printed manual than either material
on the monitor or the best my printer (a very good 24-pin) can produce.

It isn't either/or, it's a choice, with those willing to pay for a
printed manual doing so, without harming in any way those who prefer
the material online.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner