Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:10:37 -0400
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Winship wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Glenn Darwin wrote:
>> As a site admin....  No...
>> List owners can make a request...  No deal I'm going to comply.
>
>It appears you do not trust your listowners.  If so, why do the lists
>exist, and why are they listowners?

I am a Listserv system administrator too. The simple fact is that there
are a lot of confidential entries in the typical log file, at least in my
situation. In the 12 years or so that I have been managing Listserv
servers, I have never received a request for log file information. If I
did receive a request, I would comply as long as my manager allocated
enough of my time to write a perl script to extract only the requested
information or assigned someone else to do it, but I would not just make
an entire log file available to someone without a court order or a
mandate from upper management.

Why do lists exist? To manage sets of email addresses for the purpose of
sending out email, archiving email and files, etc. Lack of access to log
files does not impede the functionality that Listserv offers. That being
said, I would love to see more reporting options available via Listserv.