"Herman J. Woltring" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Feb 1992 09:22:00 N
Dear LiSTOWN-L readers,

Following a debate on [log in to unmask] some time ago, I have received
a query as to how one should refer to posted items (*if* they have been
archived in the LISTSERVer's list_name LOGxxxx files) in papers being
submitted for publication.  (PM: at present, only a very few email lists
have applied for / been issued with ISSN numbers, so standard library
facilities for retrieval of such quoted references hardly exist.)

Is there any (proposed / draft) standard on how to reference items on BITNET
and Internet lists, and on Usenet Newsgroups?  For the latter, a problem is
that archives are automatically purged after some time, while LISTSERVer
archives are at least under the listowners' control.  For lack of other
information, I have suggested something like:

   N.N. Author (19yy), [Subject line]. Posting of 19yy-mm-dd, hh:mm PST, in:
   list_name logyymm (retrievable with the request SEND list_name LOGyymm
   from [log in to unmask]).

This assumes, of course, a meaningful subject line, and the inclusion of a
full personal name in the quoted item which, unfortunately, are sometimes
lacking.

Thanks for your comments,

Herman J. Woltring, Eindhoven/NL
Moderator, Biomch-L.