"Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 07:22:16 -0700
A legal fund - that is a fascinating idea!  I must have missed the
original discussion of a union and such.  You won't get much contribution
unless you have an organized fund thing to send it to, but I would make a
small contribution if this gets going.

Has this case gone to court?  Or is this fund an anticipation of that?

What precedents are there for such things?  What other groups have a
shared legal fund?  Doctors have malpractice insurance.  What other
groups have some group protection?  Could Lsoft provide this, perhaps by
building in a fee into their basic charges for listserv?  (I am sure Eric
is going to have an opinion on that one!).  I am serious, though.  The
questions in the more general case of online services being responsible
for content (like the Prodigy case) make list owners nervous.  Perhaps an
industry-wide group to protect list owners would be what is needed - a
partnership between Lsoft, Majordomo, and so forth?  They could also
provide expert advise on what is copyright and how to handle it, and what
is a disclaimer and where you need them, and so forth.

There may be enough lawyers on the net that this could be setup somehow
as a non-profit organization?  Maybe Prodigy and the other services could
help fund it also.  But who would organize it?

Kevin

| NAMES: Kevin J. Sinclair = [log in to unmask]; also [log in to unmask] |
| TIMEZ: USA Pacific Time Zone; 7 hours earlier than GMT (8 in the winter)  |
| URL'S: http://rdz.stjohns.edu/kidopedia/, http://www.computer.com/home    |
| LISTS: List Owner for the following (Listserv) Internet mailing lists:    |
|     1) [log in to unmask]: WWW Encyclopedia, made by children!   |
|        More information: send an email to [log in to unmask]      |
|     2) [log in to unmask]: Grateful Med - medical search software  |
|        More information: send an email to [log in to unmask]    |