"Ralph Stuart, University of Vermont" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:39:38 -0400
I am list owner for a fairly active list. There is another local list that
is currently run as a newsgroup. I would like it to also be available as an
e-mail list. The computer managers need convincing. I have two questions:

1) What are the generic technical requirements for a bidirectional gateway
between a newsgroup and a LISTSERV list?

2) Do you know of any studies that compare the content of newsgroups to
mailing lists (measuring, perhaps, spam content, thread length, etc.)? Some
of the computer people insist that the choice between the two media is
neutral. I find that assertion absurd, but they want me to "prove it". I
wonder if anybody has done this sort of work before.

Thanks for any help.

- Ralph

Ralph Stuart
Environmental Safety Manager
University of Vermont
655 Spear St., PO Box 50570
Burlington, VT   05405

fax: (802)656-5407

Owner: SAFETY list (general discussion of environmental health and safety)
           LEPC list   (planning for hazardous materials emergencies)
           LAB-XL list (performance oriented enviromental regulation of
laboratories)