Cloaks and Daggers <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 May 1996 20:21:48 EDT
Date:    Fri, 10 May 1996 13:55:00 -0700
From:    Lefty <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Phantom Subscriber?

>I have been getting persistent error messages from America Online,
>to the effect that "[log in to unmask]" is an unknown user.  However,
>there is no
>such user listed as a subscriber on the list in question.  If I try to
>delete the specified ID, LISTSERV tells me that there is no
>subscriber with
>that address on the list; similarly a query for *@aol.com shows no
>such subscriber.

The problem with AOL is that it allows each user to set up a number of
different mail boxes all within AOL. Consequently, (I think) that a
subscriber to your list may subscribe under one such mail box/name/
make submissions under yet a different one, and still, get his/her mail
under still another such "user name".

It's just a thought....

(Rudy)

Rudolf Kies, PH.D.