Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Mar 1992 09:09:09 PST
On Wed, 11 Mar 1992, Kathryn Wright <LIBKAT@INDST> wrote:

>Recommendation:  Tell subscribers to my Listserv'd list to sub under their
>Internet addresses if they have any.  (The Listserv in question being INDYCMS,
>it does also have its own Internet address.)

Good idea, for the following reasons:
 - INDST   on BITNET is known as 'INDST.INDSTATE.EDU' on Internet,
   though this relation doesn't appear in their BITNET node-entry,
 - INDYCMS on BITNET is known as 'INDYCMS.IUPUI.EDU' on Internet,
   though this relation doesn't appear in their BITNET node-entry,
 - PURCCVM on BITNET is known as 'VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU' on Internet,
   though this relation doesn't appear in their BITNET node-entry,
 - the response to the command 'TELL MAILER AT INDYCMS SHOW DOMAIN USC.EDU'
   shows that their MAILER routes **all** mail for the 'EDU' domain
   to their SMTP-server,
 - a query to the SMTP server at INDYCMS shows that it has almost
   no queued files, i.e., it's ready & willing to do work,
 - LISTSERV indicates the BITNET topology:
     INDST   is connected to INDYCMS (at 9600 baud),
     INDYCMS is connected to PURCCVM (at 9600 baud),
     PURCCVM is connected to UICVM   (at 9600 baud),
     UICVM   is connected to many sites (at a **high** baud rate,
     using the "BITNET-II" (RSCS over TCP/IP) software),
 - a few RSCS queries show that:
     UICVM   has  518 files queued to PURCCVM,
     PURCCVM has   25 files queued to INDYCMS,
     INDYCMS has    1 file  queued to INDST,
     INDST   has    1 file  queued to INDYCMS,
     INDYCMS has 2343 files queued to PURCCVM,
     PURCCVM has  158 files queued to UICVM,

>Reasoning being that forum mail will get where it's going faster,
>*especially* when links are down on the Bitnet routes.

IMHO, it seems like the problem is not that the BITNET links are "down",
but that 9600-baud connections just can't keep up with the volume of E-mail!

>We have been having delays on the Indiana net, & INDYCMS is among the guilty.
>Just trying to figure an end-run around the frustration.

My recommendation is that INDYCMS and PURCCVM acquire and install
the BITNET-II software, and exploit their Internet connectivity,
i.e., send all their RSCS traffic via TCP/IP, rather than at 9600 baud.
That's an easy way to eliminate the current bottle-neck.