Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 09:56:37 MST
On Wed, 9 Aug 1995 21:06:41 -0500 Winship said:
>First, though, I'ld like to make clear than when I speak of getting spams
>which I block, I do not mean I get a notification that Eric's spam filter
>has blocked the things, I mean they are sent to me for approval.  UBVM has
>had the spam filter almost since Eric released it, and in the intervening
>months I have gotten one, and only one, notification that an item has been
>blocked by the spam filter.  I assume this is because AUTOCAT is near the
>beginning of lists of largish lists which these people use so I get them

   Douglas has it pegged right.  Spam will often get through to
advanc-l and arie-l, but almost never to cdromlan, circplus, libidaho,
postcard, and other "further down the alphabet" lists I own.  Guess what
we want to do is have our lists with names at the END of the alphabet
instead of the beginning, the opposite of conventional wisdom for being
in the phone book.  o-)

    My biggest hassle now is spam from Usenet gateways, but since I've got
all from usenet filtered to me, biggest problem is the folks who reply on
the newsgroups and then i have to pass on their stuff.  A couple of prolific
posters from Usenet have been convinced to sub and set nomail and to send
their "replies" direct to the list.  It has come about not by me beating on
them....but by their frustration at delays in getting their words of wisdom
posted quickly when I get behind or am out of town without a net connection.

  cheers

cyclops

  Dan Lester                          Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Network Information Coordinator     WWW: http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  Boise State University Library
  Boise, Idaho  83725                 How can one fool make another wise?
  208-385-1235                        Kansas, "No One Together," 1979