Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:48:21 -0400
On: Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 02:19:24PM -0400,Glenn Darwin Wrote:

} Seems weird that all this mail gets dumped into the same mailbox at every
} ISP...  Note this one exception from the RFC - "Note: This reserved local-part
} must be matched without sensitivity to alphabetic case, so that "POSTMASTER",
} "postmaster", and even "poStmASteR" is to be accepted"
}
} I guess I'll just have to live with it.

There are so many cases where a standard says one thing and how it is
implemented is something else.  RFC822 says that the local part is case
significant.  Most implementations ignore this.  Lsoft is one of the few
implementations that follow the standard.

At the time RFC822 was written,  most computer systems that did internet
mail were unixish,  where user, USER, and UsEr were 3 seperate userids.

} > > I would like to see the RFC to back up Lsofts claim that every thing on
} > > the left of the @ sign is not case dependant.
} >
} > That should be everything to the right is not case dependent. The "local
} > part" (left of the @)  is supposed to be preserved (except for the special
} > case of "Postmaster"), but the rest does not. LISTSERV consistently
} > treated these correctly -- at least since I first used it (1.8c).
} >
} > See RFC-822, sec 3.4.7 (Case Independence) for a more complete discussion.
} >
} >    http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822/

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507