Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 12:19:14 -0400
On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 19:53:25 +0200, Eric Thomas wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:20:10 -0500 "Ingrid H. Shafer" said:
>>I know of one case (not involving me) in which a filtered indiviual
>>has threatened legal action and the listowners had to consult an
>>attorney.
>
>As long as it is public knowledge that you kicked them off the list, they
>can sue for defamation of character.

How about:
QUIET ADD the offender to the list and then set the subscription to
CONCEAL, NOPOST, NOMAIL?

As I understand it, the offender can change the conceal and nomail
(assuming the person figures out what's going on) but NOPOST can only be
changed by the owner.  The use of the CONCEAL option protects the person
from public humiliation, and there is NO right to being able to use someone
else's "soap box" for one's freedom of speech.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]>      (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html