John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:55:02 -0500
> I'm trying to implement a simple bottom_banner in my .mailtpl file. I'm
> getting a bottom_banner, all right, but not with the results I intended.
>
> I got the [listname].mailtpl file, where the relevant section said
>
> BOTTOM_BANNER      Bottom banner for plain text postings
> TOP_BANNER         Top banner for plain text postings
> BOTTOM_BANNER_HTML Bottom banner for HTML postings
> TOP_BANNER_HTML    Top banner for HTML postings
> POSTACK1           Reply sent to anyone posting to the list (for
> "replybots") WWW_LIST_HEADER    HTML header for web interface
> WWW_LIST_TRAILER   HTML trailer for web interface >>> DIST_VIRUS Virus
> detected in DISTRIBUTE job
>
> etc.
>
> So I modified it to read

> TRAINING9 is a test listserv maintained by HSLC
> See http://www.hslc.org for more information about us.
> Mail to mailto:[log in to unmask] to leave the list
>
> TOP_BANNER         Top banner for plain text postings
> BOTTOM_BANNER_HTML Bottom banner for HTML postings
> TOP_BANNER_HTML    Top banner for HTML postings
> POSTACK1           Reply sent to anyone posting to the list (for
> "replybots") WWW_LIST_HEADER    HTML header for web interface
> WWW_LIST_TRAILER   HTML trailer for web interface >>> DIST_VIRUS Virus
> detected in DISTRIBUTE job
>
> but I get everything between the two >>> as the bottom_banner.

As it should. Each template contained   WITHIN the listname.mailtpl is
defined with the  ">>>"   What your listname.mailtpl should look like is
this:

>>> BOTTOM_BANNER      Bottom banner for plain text postings

TRAINING9 is a test listserv maintained by HSLC
See http://www.hslc.org for more information about us.
Mail to mailto:[log in to unmask] to leave the list

>>> TOP_BANNER         Top banner for plain text postings
Your Text

>>> BOTTOM_BANNER_HTML Bottom banner for HTML postings
Your Text

>>> TOP_BANNER_HTML    Top banner for HTML postings
Your Text

>>> POSTACK1           Reply sent to anyone posting to the list (for
"replybots")
Your Text

>>> WWW_LIST_HEADER    HTML header for web interface
Your Text

ect, ect

If enabled, it's much easier to modify templates via the web interface as
LISTSERV creates and properly formats the listname.mailtpl for you.