Mitch Rerek <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:59:21 -0400
Bill,

Contact me directly as I'm working on the list migration team at WVU and I have your list up in front of me. Amy's left for a 3 day vacation and can't help now.

Mitch Rerek
Senior Information Technology Consultant
OIT Customer Support
West Virginia University
(304) 293-4444  ext 2256

I added the following items to the filelist.catalog:

aelfric.softmac aelfric.softmac all own
gconc.softmac gconc.softmac all own
nerofont.softmac nerofont.softmac all own
ny_oe.softmac ny_oe.softmac all own
pbfonttt.softmac pbfonttt.softmac all own
runes.softmac runes.softmac all own
descript.softmac descrip.softmac all own
beows.docs beows.docs prv own

When I retrieve the catalog, the files are listed.   But when I use INDEX to
get a file listing, the files are not present.

And when I try to put the file on the server (I've tried aelfric.softmac
only so far) I get the following message:

    You are not authorized to update file "AELFRIC SOFTMAC".

The syntax I used initially was:  PUT AELFRIC SOFTMAC PW=xxxxxx

I also tried to use the syntax:  put aelfric.softmac pw=xxxxxx

The admin person, when transferring the files from the VM to the unix
system, had the following two files:

    humanist.ansaxnet humanist.ansaxnet prv own
    newsubs.ansaxnet humanist.ansaxnet prv own

That didn't look right to me, since the second line has the same actual file
name as the first one.   I changed it to what I thought it
should be:  newsubs.ansaxnet, and left everything else the same.

Now when I look at the catalog file I see:

    newsubs.ansaxnet newsubs.ansaxnet prv own

as I should.   When I try the index file I see:

      HUMANIST      ANSAXNET        PRV OWN        3,998 2002-06-10 11:23:08
      NEWSUBS       ANSAXNET        PRV OWN        4,229 2002-06-20 16:06:53

The newsubs.ansaxnet is a text file I send to new subscribers with a give
command (using the syntax as described in the user's manual):

    give newsubs.ansaxnet user@domain

But that gives the following error message (from the returned message):

> give NEWSUBS.ANSAXNET [log in to unmask]
You are not authorized to access file "newsubs.ansaxnet".

Finally, when I try your suggested syntax:  put newsubs.ansaxnet pw=xxxxxx

I get the following message:

    You are not authorized to update file "newsubs.ansaxnet".

I have no problem retrieving the file from the VM system.

The common thread seems to be that I do not have permission to access the
files, or make actual changes in the file listings, leading me to the
conclusion that the systems admin needs to set permissions for me.

Does this help?

Bill