"Paul M. Karagianis" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:33:04 EST
On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:23:10 -0500 Alperin, Glenn said:

>If you modify your list header to say the following:
>
>* Reply-to= List,Ignore
>
>it should solve any reply-to problems.  The net result will be that
>all messages will be sent back to the list making private responses more
>difficult if warranted though, and all reply-to headers will be completely
>ignored.

This won't work.  Listserv looks at the inbound mail, flunks it for invalid
RFC822 and bounces it to the Listmaster who may very well be filtering it
because it really is wrong, and the problem is on the other end.  The net
result is the users mail, which could be a posting, or a subscription
request or a request for help directed to listname-request or whatever,
can just vanish.  The last hope is that the Post/Listmaster sends back an
explanation of what's going on to the user.  Sheer volume and lack of
manpower makes these a royal pain at this site, but given the large number
of medically related lists we have I find I don't sleep very well unless
I at least look at them.

Since this came up... the prime source of the problem here is MS, but in
principle I think it would be nice if Listserv was a bit smarter about
trying to communicate to people with mis-configured mailers that they
have a problem.  I suspect this could be a dangerous nuisance for LSoft
to have to deal with, but superficially it would seem that RFC822's could
be cc'ed to a valid-probable-sender (gack!).  In this one example, I
can't think of a single case where the "reply-to: <@here.com>" appeared on
mail that _didn't_ have a valid "from:" (usually matching "return-path:").
This is _usually_ true for the other miracle of human engineering, Mozilla
and it's "sender: 123, Doyle, St., Reading, UK".

                                                          -Kary