Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 00:48:54 -0500
At 11:18 PM 1996/02/21 -0600, Winship wrote:

>I don't know for sure, as I'm really not up on this, but wouldn't each
>of the recipients have to make changes to the display in his mail system?
>LISTSERV may send it with everything preserved in the proper character
>set, but if the mail system of the subscriber isn't set to accept/read
>that set he'll see garbage or nothing, won't he?

Yes, of course.  Vicki Banks asked the original question about Japanese
characters.  In the situation Vicki described, she has a group of people who
are already communicating successfully by email using a mixture of Kanji and
English.  The problem was that messages that were successful when sent
directly produced garbage when sent through the list.  These users obviously
had the software to display Kanji and mail systems that transmitted the
necessary codes.

Vicki received two suggestions: 1) change the header option, and 2) change
to Translate= No so control codes are not deleted.  It is an empirical
question whether either of these will help in Vicki's situation.

Eric and others expressed skepticism about whether <esc> codes would make it
through the mail--and also whether they would work on an EBCDIC machine.  I
can only report that it *does* work for us.  We have been successful on a VM
machine with both list messages and files in the archives containing <esc>
codes.  For a sample, send the command GET KIDLINK GENERALJ to
[log in to unmask]  I can't view this file in Kanji because I don't
have a viewer, but our Japanese participants have reported no trouble with
it.  Except for the <esc> codes, the coding system uses only printable 7-bit
characters.  Here is a sample:

>hF0$,B?MM2=$7!"$9$Y$F$N3hF0$N@bL@$r$R$H$D$N%U%!%$%k$K$
>-$J$/$J$j$^$7$?!#$3$3$G$O$=$l$>$l$N3hF0$K$I$N$h$&$K;22

Vicki:  If your messages look something like this, I think it is likely that
the problem is the missing <esc> codes.

If you get this file and don't find any <esc> codes in it, there is a good
chance that your viewer deletes them.  I'm well aware of the dangers of
embedded escape sequences and a viewer that sends them to your display is a
*bad idea*.  I hesitated to enable control codes on our lists for this reason.

                               Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler - Education & Psychology, Univ. of Cincinnati  >>
<<  KIDLINK Director of Educational Services & Subscription Manager  >>
<<  Email: [log in to unmask]      URL: http://www.uc.edu/~wheeler/  >>