Thu, 6 May 1999 00:37:18 -0500
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Dennis Budd wrote:
> No, what she wants is to not have the "review" and "nopost" options to
> be included in the "query" output sent to a subscriber.  Listserv does
> not support that.  She has already implemented the "quiet" setting of

Yes, well, I was working on memory of the original item which I read
quickly and misremembered it as asking for both suppression of the blurb
(which can be done with the .mltpl) and suppression of information in the
QUERY output.  I remembered the former (which is valid in some instnaces)
rather than the latter.  Oh well, even my betters have lapses of memory
and make mistakes.

Suppressing the "Your message has been submitted..." response may be
entirely legit in some instances. Suppressing the option info given for a
QUERY command (and one could go further, using customized "welcomes,"
hiding the operating details in the list header with .HH, etc.) is
something else.

  What are you going to do when a subscriber who's postings are being
blocked, and he can't figure out why they are not going through, asks
about it?  Lie and say you have no idea, must be a problem on his end (why
no error messages?)  or fess up that you are blocking him and have done
your damndest to make sure he can't find out about it?  Either way, looks
like you probably have even worse trouble than you were trying to
forestall. If he knows enough to do a query, then to ask you, he probably
knows enough to quickly catch you if you lie to him, and if you try to
hide everything I rather think he might have a legit gripe to take to the
site administrators.

If you want to block a subscriber who is being a pain I really think
it may be better, in the long run, to be honest about it from the start.

Douglas