Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:00:46 -0600
> Of course since SERVICE= presumably is not specified, be prepared for an
incremental portion of spam to the editor's mailbox.

I'm not clear on why you expect this. I've had two and a half years on
LISTSERV, with the first year divided between The Kludge configuration and
one (after the upgrade where it stopped working) where I was actually
setting all the trusted subscribers to EDITOR, before this forum gave me a
better approach. Over this entire time, I've had exacty two attempts to spam
my list, in spite of our inhabiting an environment extensively harvested and
assaulted by spammers.

I believe the primary exposure to spam comes from having the list or the
owner's and editor's addresses too readily accessible via the Web. The
success of my own somewhat fanatical efforts to limit that exposure would
seem to support that notion.

But regardless of the degree of exposure, wouldn't the same spam wind up in
the Editor's mailbox either way?

> I, for one, was very happy w/ The Kludge.

So was I. But I've been just as happy with the alternative, once I got
through the transition.

A design anomaly in a complicated product always has the potential to screw
up further developments. It's a tough choice whether to keep working around
it or fix it and move on, helping any customers (like me) who accidentally
got drawn into dependence on a bug. Having had to face similar issues
myself, including numerous cases where other developers left it to the
support guy (me) to retrofit a good design onto Rube Goldberg monstrosities,
I have to respect the man who faced the problem and didn't duck it.

Hal Keen