John Witherspoon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 00:18:07 EST
Dear Fellow List Owners,

I have set up a specialized MAILTPL file for a list I own.  3 questions:

1) Following is the part of the file containing the logic for whether
a message is sent to a new user about whether his name can be gleaned
by someone doing a REVIEW.  However, I have review= set to private and
would like for the logic to prevent the insertion of the warning.  I would
also not like to just delete the insertion logic, since I may decide to
make review= public in the future and would feel an obligation to warn
subscribers at that time.

.eb
.bb CONCEAL not in &DEFOPT
.se x = &KWD(REVIEW)
.bb (&x ^= POSTMASTER) and (&x ^= OWNER)
Please note that it may be possible for
.bb &x = PUBLIC
anybody
.eb
.bb &x ^= PUBLIC
other people
.eb
to determine that you are signed up to the list through the use of the
"REVIEW" command, which returns the e-mail address and name of all
the subscribers. If you do not want your name to be visible,
just issue a "SET &LISTNAME CONCEAL" command. The list owners will
always be able to tell that you are subscribed, however.

2) I could not find a departure message to modify to my specifications.
The only ones I identified were for automatic unsubscriptions and
owner-forced unsubscriptions.  Did I miss it, or is the only way to have
a FAREWELL message to say what I want when people decide to leave on
their own?

3) What is the ^= in boolean logic?

Many thanks.

-- John Witherspoon