"Philip Janus (at home)" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 18:21:56 -0500
At 16:51 01/08/96 -0600, you wrote:
>What's the deal with all these ISPs that set their MTA's to report
>"Unable to deliver mail for 4 hours"????  I'm getting tired of the errors
>and want to tell the mail admins at the other end "according tto RFCxxx,
>the timeout should be set to X".
>
>Unfortunately, I don't think there is such an RFC.  Four hours seems at
>least 20 hours short to me.  Am I nuts?  Let me re-phrase that ... :-)
>
>Peter Laws
>SCAN-L, W5YM-L, UAWEB-L

I agree with you. Four hours has the feeling of a mail server set by someone
thinking in terms of corporate email as opposed to the internet (for an
example of this mentality, talk to the Lotus cc:Mail people about why
headers should be accessible by the user...)

OTOH, I am still getting bombarded by "unable to deliver mail for two weeks"
messages. Apparently there are some systems where the two week "unable to
deliver, deleting mail from queue" is the first warning you get. So now I
have two weeks of bounce messages to look forward to. :P

Philo
LAWSCH-L