Gabe Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 00:29:04 -0400
When I established my list ([log in to unmask]) I set it to require
annual subscription renewal. List subscribers just shrunk by about 1/3, as
we passed an anniversary of a major recruiting drive. Some people in fact
wanted to drop off, but some didn't understand the LISTSERV messages about
renewing, and some couldn't get their mailers (e.g., Eudora) to forward
the renewal request as specified without adding the quoting flag (">") to
each line. So now I'm publicizing the list again, and will probably write
to each of the dropouts, inviting them back.

So I'm interested in other folks' experience with renewals -- do you
require renewal? How long after notification do you allow people to renew
before you drop them? Have problems been reported with uncooperative
mailers? Why isn't the same architecture used for this as is used more
successfully for confirming new subscriptions and commands -- simply
*reply* with a magig number/word/phrase in the Subject line. That seems
more reliable, easier...

Some people said they didn't recognize the name of my list, and the
LISTSERV nagging didn't mention any text descriptions of the list.
Has anyone tinkered with the renewal messages to make them more
meaningful? Does this text neet to be re-tinkered with every new
LISTSERV version?

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.     Voice: (703) 556-9121
7718 Iroquois Court, Falls Church VA 22043-2516        FAX: (703) 556-0906