Wes Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:27:44 -0500
Allyson,

I received a response on this directly from Karen Reznek that identified the
cause of the problem.  Her response was as follows...

"If the charset="utf-8" and/or the sender is using Microsoft Exchange,
then it likely UUENCODED. I am having that problem with one of my
subscribers. The character set cannot be changed under Exchange, and the
subscriber is stuck with it through the near future. Our temporary
solution is for her to send it to me (Mozilla automatically decodes it),
I change the setting to plain text - Western, and forward it on to the list.

Those with updated readers can read it, but it stores in the archives as
garbage. When I did a GET on the messages they came back as garbage. I
suspect that folks on DIGEST will not be able to read it, and know that
those on INDEX won't."

I confirmed that the message did have the charset="utf-8".  Problem is I've
tried numerous ways to remove this code and every time I have tried
resending the e-mail to my test list it comes back encoded again with the
utf-8 charset.  The only way I have been able to get around it is to send
the e-mail in plain text or rich text format but this isn't acceptable for
an announcement list that managers want to "look pretty".  We need to be
able to broadcast e-mails out in html format.  I've tried saving the content
with a different character set and although it appears to work, once again,
when I paste it into an e-mail with html format, the utf-8 charset
mysteriously returns.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue?  How can I get rid of the utf-8
charset and still maintain an html format for the e-mail?

...Wes Anderson