Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:27:55 EDT
> On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 08:56:37 -0400 Jim Watkins said:
> >Could someone tell me how to solve this error report:
> >
> >"The enclosed mail file has been identified as a delivery error for list VPI
> >because it was sent to the reserved 'owner-vpi' mailbox".
> >
> >I receive this report when a specific subscriber sends a message.
>
> Hmm, is this subscriber using MS Mail?  There's a known bug (or just plain
> misfeature) in MS Mail that causes replies to list mail to be sent to
> owner-listname instead of listname.  The only cure is either to quit using
> MS Mail or be sure to check the "To:" line when replying.  MS Exchange
> doesn't have this problem, BTW.
>
> Nathan

There are other things that can be done.  One is to configure the list
header with Safe=no.  This causes posts to be sent with the SMTP MAIL
FROM address set to the list instead of owner-list.  That's what
Microsoft Mail picks up for the reply.  With Safe=no you are depending
on LISTSERV's filters to keep bounce messages from being distributed to
the list, but they do work very well.

Another is to configure the MS Mail SMTP gateway to use the RFC 822
From address instead of the SMTP MAIL FROM address.  This has the side
effect of causing bounce messages from the list to go to the sender of
the message instead of the list owner.

Another thing to do is to switch from the MS Mail SMTP Gateway to the
Exchange Internet Mail Connector or to a third party gateway.