"Gilmore,Mindy" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:13:46 -0500
I wonder if it would be in my best interest to upgrade my old server to
1.8e.  Would the files change then????  Problem is we don't want to add
webarhive on our main core server.  Can you just load 1.8e without the
archive.  Would this change the logs to listname.log I wonder

-----Original Message-----
From: John Lyon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 10:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Merging into web version

> I have a bit of a dilemma! I wonder if anyone else has come across when
> upgrading to the new web version  1.8e this problem.   I am trying to
> migrate files from our old version 1.8c to new version.   However our list
> were set up as separate, so the logs look like listname.01-00001 instead
of
> listname.log0101.    I am trying to concatenate these files by month by
> copy +. When I merge them in they are not coming up as separate post.
They
> are all one.   Has anyone had to go through this painful process.

Not to this extent, but it can be done with a lot of manual labor. This URL
discusses editing notebooks.
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/qs/editlogs.html

It's not exactly what you are doing, but it explains the format that LOGS
need to be in for LISTSERV to work with and display. If you want to create a
readable monthly log, here is the basic process: Starting from the very
bottom going up....

Oldest message text for this month, then it's headers and finally 73 equal
signs. Continue this process until you reach the most recent message for
this month. Name the file  LISTNAME.LOGyymm So Feb 1997 log would be named:
LISTNAME.LOG9702 If you used Weekly logs, then you would add an A, B,C,D,or
E to the end of the filename to designate the week. Good luck!