Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:52:43 -0700
I know that it's possible to use the following syntax for new subscribers:

ADD LISTNAME [log in to unmask] *

which will search other lists on the server for the individual's name, and add it if it finds it.  If not, it subscribes them as (No Name Available).  I imagine subscribers can use a similar syntax.

Perhaps AOL has set up a list subscription interface which automatically adds the * if a name isn't inserted?

I don't know of any way to disable this feature.

Sherry Beauchamp

>I thought LISTSERV *required* the following syntax for new subscribers:
>
>        SUB LISTNAME Personal Name
>
>But I have had a couple of attempts to subscribe in which the approval
>form has the following format:
>
>        ADD ENGLISC [log in to unmask] (no name available)
>
>Is this something that is peculiar to AOL?  Is there a way to force
>insertion of a name, or to have a sub request without a name rejected,
>short of a personal note?
>
>Thanks for any insight on this.  I see nothing in the manual about it.
>
>Bill
>

>--
>Dr. W. Schipper                     Email: [log in to unmask]
>Department of English,              Tel: 709-737-4406
>Memorial University                 Fax: 709-737-4528
>St John's, Nfld. A1C 5S7

   Sherry Beauchamp         Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
   [log in to unmask]                   http://www.SSRN.Com

   Leading Social Science Research Delivered to Your Desktop Daily