Lissa Mosley <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 19:18:26 -0400
Today I got notification that an organization had subscribed to my list with
a username identical to my listname:

> Dear list owner,
>
> As   of  Thursday,   June  the   2nd  of   1994,  Newsgroup_on   APC_networks
><[log in to unmask]> has  subscribed to your distribution  list VEGAN-L (Vegan
>Discussion Group).

Apparently, IGC.APC.ORG is a for-fee internet service called PEACENET which
provides access to various lists and news groups.  My understanding is that
our messages will be posted to a "shadow group" on PEACENET.  Additionally,
PEACENET subscribers will be able to post to my list via this one
subsciption.

No one contacted me ahead of time to ask permission or inform me that they
would be doing this.  I am amazed that a commercial organization would
behave in such an unprofessional manner.  Is that as inappropriate as I
think it is? Needless to say, I am concerned about the potential volume of
traffic, as well as my inability to control these posters.  My list is one
that can easily become contentious if I don't keep a close watch on it.

Has anyone here had experience with this group or a similar one?

Lissa Mosley