"Kelly C. McDonald" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 00:01:00 -0600
I'm sending this message to indicate that we have gotten some definite
evidence to show that the spammed message was sent to a VM mailer with a
bogus host name. One of the site administrators at a VM site that received a
message Thursday night from  "physics1.byu.edu" searched his logs and it
shows the connections from the supposed BYU hosts, but the IP addresses
shown are those of another institution.

I have forwarded the information to that institution, and our network
security officer will be working with their campus police and our own to try
and stop these problems.  I don't feel comfortable giving the name of that
institution, so that they are not subjected to the volume of angry (and
sometimes threatening) messages that we have been. They have assured me that
they will do their best to try and stop the individual.  I will keep you
informed of the progress if you are interested. [don't everyone reply in the
affirmative, please :-) ]

Kelly McDonald
BYU