Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:09:54 +0100
Dear Ben

Thanks for the help!

>>1. The messages from the list carry 'Multiple recipients of
>>MYLISTNAME' in To: field. How can I changed it to something
>>else, for example, 'MYLISTNAME Mail'?
>
>You can't do this.  It is hard coded.

It is interesting! This LSTOWN-L list does not contain such text
in To: field! How this is possible?

>>2. Is there a way that I can keep the list moderated, but when
>>the subscribers post something, they don't get such message that
>>there message has been submitted to editors.
>
>I have never understood why List Owners think they can or should hide the fact
>of moderation from people posting to their list.  The means to do this are
>discussed in Chap 9 of the Owners Manual, and involve editing of the POST_EDITOR
>template.

The reason is that my list (which was running on majordomo and is a heavy
traffic list, I have recently moved it to LISTSERV) sometime got caught in
this 'remove me due to too many mails' snowball effect, and I had to make
it moderated. I do not want to flood people's email boxes who are genuinely
sending pedagogical content in their messages (my list is for educators and
educational technologists), but still want to keep a check on non-relevant
messages.

>>3. How I can implement Keyword Filters, so that if a message contains
>>word 'remove' in subject line or in first line of the message,
>>it bounces to moderator (or list owner) rather than going to list?
>
>LISTSERV already does this automatically for valid LISTSERV command words
>appearing on the first 1-2 lines of a message.  'remove' is not such a command
>and thus is not trapped.  LISTSERV ignores the contents of the Subject: line at
>almost all times so this would not be trapped.  There is no provision for Owners
>to add their own keywords to this function.

As I told above, I had such situation in the past. Person wrote in the
subject 'Please remove me from this list', and in the message, sent just
the signature!

Regards.

Kinshuk.
Dr. Kinshuk            [log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]
Human Computer Interactions Institute
German National Research Center for Information Technology
GMD-FIT, Schloss Birlinghoven, D-53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
Tel: (49) 2241 14 2144   Fax: (49) 2241 14 2065