James Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 14:21:19 +1100
Hi,

I manage a couple of lists that have recently been caught up in a loop
resulting in each posting to a list generating up to ten "Rejected posting"
messages of the same post also going to the list (and thus all subscribers.)

It turned out the the source of these posts was a subscription from a user
of "deepcove.ba.ca". They had some problem with their provider and mail
didn't get through to them. The gateway(?) at deepcove thus rejected and
posts from the list to that subscriber. However it sent its
"non-deliverable" post back to the list.  So far no problems.
However somewhere along the way the apparent sender of this non-deliverable
post became the list itself. The list is not subscribed to itself so it
rejected the posts and sent it back to the sender. Unfortunately this was
the list. Hence the loop.
Also interesting was the error text of the posts being looped. They were
all errors detected by "kaos...something" and where noted as too many loops
(sorry I can't remember the exact wording).

The recent discussion about gateways got me thinking that perhaps I could
avoid this problem in the future by setting SENDER=NONE, rather than
leaving the current default setting.

My question is: Is there a problem if I do this?

James

James Hale                              <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Manager, Computing Unit
Faculty of Health Sciences, Carlton
Ext:    122                Fax:    270