Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 May 1998 08:16:07 -0400
Douglas:

At 00:25 5/22/98 -0500, Winship said:
|> |   Listname-request@hostdomain
|> |
|> |This should deliver the message to someone who can answer your questions.
|>
|> If that does produce results, then try:
|>
|> OWNER-LISTSERV@hostdomain
|
|Oh, Pete, how could you?  That's for errors.  I am,
|if-I-may-who-shouldn't, pretty good at tracking down and resolving
|delivery errors, but when I am doing errors I am psyched to do errors.
|I'm not interested in seeing anything else in that account, it should
|not be used as a "general delivery" address.

The original statement was:

> 3.  Is there any way which I might be able to get in touch with the
>  list-owners of that list by any other means then their (apparently)
>  defunct e-mail addresses?

Now in my experience, it is not 100% guaranteed that list-owners continue
to exist for a specific list -- either the list is broken, they have
moved on, or just don't know how to handle such things.  SOOO, then all
else fails, *then*

OWNER-LISTSERV@hostdomain

would seem to me to be an acceptable attempt at resolving the MULTIPLE
issues.  And since we are talking about LISTSERV(R), I don't think I need
to further qualify the multiple mailing list managers' various forms of
generic addressing, though certainly some have documented some of the
various MLM commands:

http://www.delphi.com/navnet/faq/listsub.html
http://www.idot.aol.com/mld/production/mld-commands.html

--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA