"Wohlgemuth, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:21:23 -0400
ok .. thanks to everyone for the responses ..

I think I found and fixed the problem ... my LOCAL was set to
*.domain.org  and not listserv.domain.org

Thanks again ...

Mike

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Ben Parker
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 12:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: smtp bcc relay

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:14:02 -0400, "Wohlgemuth, Mike"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I thought that the listserv smtp service was only supposed to accept
>mail delivered to the local address and that then it sends mail
>accepted to the list to it's members ...

Correct.  LISTSERV's SMTP Listener will firstly accept mail for the
domain name listed in site.cfg  for  NODE=  and also for additional
domain names (if any) listed in MYDOMAIN=.  So if the incoming mail in
question is addressed to a slighly different domain name, SMTPL will not
accept it at all.

Secondly, SMTPL looks at the left side of the @ and here the address
must match an existing LISTNAME on the server or be one of the
variations on the listname (listname-request, owner-listname,
listname-subscribe-request, listname-signoff-request, etc.) or be
LISTSERV itself.  Again, if the mail is not addressed to a valid local
list address, SMTPL will not accept it at all.

Thirdly, SMTPL is totally incapable of sending any outgoing mail.  It
can only receive incoming mail and will accept only mail meeting the
above address requirements.

So, the cc: and bcc: mails you are wondering about are not passing
through SMTPL/LISTSERV to get to people.  They are travelling by a
different mail path, not under control of LISTSERV.  It should be fairly
obvious then that there are no possible configuration changes to be made
in LISTSERV that can have any effect on something completely separate.

In general, mail that is cc:'d or bcc:'d to different domain addresses
is split off at the sender's mail server for delivery to those other
domains and never passes anywhere near LISTSERV.