Sat, 16 Nov 1996 01:43:55 -0600
One of the lists I help with got kicked off the VM machine to unix boxes
yesterday and I've been scrambling to get things sorted out for the
co-owner.  In doing database searches of the list archives, just playing
around so I can tell her what I find, I found these samples.
******************

>>> Item #6913 (14 Nov 1996 09:38) - ML/ALERT: MEDLAB-L address has changed!

Thanks for your patience while Douglas Winship and I scramble to get on top
                                       ^^^^^^^
of the move. In the meantime, since all is in working order, you should be

From:         Winship <[log in to unmask]>
              ^^^^^^^
Subject:      Official! Read! Address change/Apology
*********************

Now as the lists are on a unix cluster I assume that with the new stuff
the program says that should be done, and that my name is marked as it was
my only search term (quick and dirty, see how this stuff works).

My question is why does it do this?  It's my search, I know the search
term.  Why waste resources indicating my search term in the "hits"?
(No, I refuse to call them "matches," sorry).  Didn't do this with
the VM searches.  Is this supposed to prove to people that the search
really and truly only pulled items matching the search term(s)?  Why?
We already know it does that, at least with VM.  One gets what is searched
for, always works.  Too many seemingly extraneous hits? refine the
search with some added parameters.  No hits? it ain't in the database with
the term(s) you've given, rethink your search strategy.

As I find other things to gripe about you may be sure I shall.  Always
have, haven't I?  ;-)

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L