Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:31:30 -0600
On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:43:38 +1000, "CLARKE, Paul (M23)"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>But I would love to be able to specify the listname and "add" on the first
>line as well. I expect that the following should work:
>
>add listname DD=X pw=######
>//X DD *
>internet-address1 full_name
>internet-address2 full_name
>/*

Yes it would.  The difference is here a full_name is required and the WELCOME
message (if any) will be sent to the new subscriber(s).

Full explanation of Command Job Language syntax is in Appendix D of the Site
Manager Manual.

>What I want to understand is what does DD stand for?

I dunno.  I suspect it means 'Declared Data' or something similar. I never
worked with IBM mainframe systems from whence this terminology came.  I am
sure knowledgeable person will correct me.

>What the X and * has to do with it? and,

X is the 'name' of the DD block.  There might be multiple DD blocks in a
single job and each must have a different name to avoid confusion.  * means it
is a multi-line DD, so keep going until the DD-end line (/*) is found.
This goes back to the days of punch cards.  Each 'line' was originally a
separate punch card in a stack.

>Why do some only need /* rather than //*

I'm not exactly sure but /* is a required end-of-DD, I think //* is an
(sometimes optinoal) end-of-job.  In LISTSERV, every command line has an
implied // JOB card header and //EOJ card terminator.