"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 10:48:00 EDT
>I know this question has been answered before, but I can't think of
>a search command that would isolate the answer.....

>how does one find the nearest available listserv site, so as to reduce
>traffic when getting students to do global listserv queries?

Unless you KNOW how far/fast another LISTSERV host is from
you on the Internet, I don't know of a deterministic Internet-only
method.

My guess is that you, in Ireland, would NOT choose a site on the
left coast of USA, but rather sites in EARN, and presumably
in the .IE domain.

Searching the LISTSERV PEERS db for all sites with country code IE,

       S * IN PEERS WHERE COUNTRY IE

one popped out: IRLEARN is also known as IRLEARN.UCD.IE

This Fully Qualified Domain Name IS on the Internet, BUT, when you
e-mail it, it will NOT go directly to it, but choose one of five
different hosts:

IRLEARN.UCD.IE. 9183    IN      MX      100 mailgate.ucd.ie.
IRLEARN.UCD.IE. 9183    IN      MX      150 ccvax.ucd.ie.
IRLEARN.UCD.IE. 9183    IN      MX      190 dec4ie.ieunet.ie.
IRLEARN.UCD.IE. 9183    IN      MX      200 mcsun.eu.net.
IRLEARN.UCD.IE. 9183    IN      MX      250 cunyvm.cuny.edu.

Go figure!

IRLEARN does maintain a current copy of where all public R-LISTSERV
lists are located, but does NOT maintain a copy of the LDBASE-searchable
LISTS db.

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "Spam-lite, is it Kosher?"   s/me      +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA