Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 May 2000 13:37:35 -0400
~khristian~ wrote:

> I am the new listmanager for the listserv of a student orgainzation.  But
> we are havign trouble switching the list ownership to me.  Does anyone
> know how that is done?

If the old owner is gone, or graduated, or just generally no help
at all, you will probably have to get your postmaster to help you.
If you send the "help" command to your list server, there should
be a line in the output that says who the "server is managed by".
That's your postmaster.

If the old owner is around and trying to help with this, he or she
may be able to set you up by adding an "Owner" line, with your
email address on it, to the list header.  You can have multiple
Owner lines, and I always recommend this.  The old owner should
not remove his or her Owner line when adding yours; -you- should
remove it.  That way it won't get removed until you are able to
do Owner stuff.  If there is some error and Listserv doesn't
accept you as an owner, the old owner can still get in and try
again.  If you end up in a situation where neither of you can
do anything, then you'll need to find your postmaster.

To change the Owner lines in the list header, the current owner
will have to either edit the header via the Configuration option
of the web interface (if you have the web interface) or by using
the GET and PUT commands.  For more information see the Listserv
manuals.

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University