Carl Reimann <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Apr 1994 16:49:42 EDT
   Greetings, fellow listowners. I am creating a listserv-based
   database of higher education resources. Thus far my efforts
   have been focussed on securing entries for individual people.
   I now intend to include systematic descriptions of mailing
   lists in the database. If your mailing list has value to offer
   people interested in subjects relating to higher education, you
   are invited to submit a completed template. Both subject-
   specific and general higher education lists are welcome to place
   an entry.

   The currently-existing database has already been useful to
   several people, and is only a few days old. It won't be fully
   operational until May 15. I am looking forward to including
   mailing lists because I know that very often people seek
   information about mailing lists to which they might turn for
   information and dissemination. NB: If your list is run by any
   automated software, including listserv, listproc, mailbase,
   and majordomo, do not include information about how to subscribe.

   If you would like your mailing list to be available in this
   format, submit the completed template to me:

========================== TEMPLATE ============================

a) list name and electronic address
b) approximate number of members and amount of traffic
c) archive status (yes/no)

1) Succinct statement of purpose
2) Keywords associated with list contents (messages & files)
3) Special instructions for new members and interested parties
4) Special resources available on the list
5) Profiles of membership

Here is a sample, pertaining to my own list [log in to unmask]:

a) Higher Education Processes List
   heproc-l on [log in to unmask] or listserv@auvm

b) 850 members, five to ten messages per week

c) archives: yes

1) Heproc-l is for major issues in higher education including
   assessment, accreditation, teaching practices, staff development,
   re-engineering/restructuring, and resource use/development.

2) Keywords:
   assessment
   accreditation
   mandated assessment
   classroom assessment techniques, feedback
   institutional development and integration
   communication and community
   marketing
   teaching
   library

3) Special instructions:
   When you sign on, be prepared for a note of welcome and take a
   moment when you can to respond; it will be from the facilitator.

4) Special resources:
   Facilitator posts occasional indexes of posts and ordering
   instructions to facilitate an organized utilization of the list.
   A listserv-based database is a sister list to heproc-l; contact
   facilitator: <[log in to unmask]> Facilitator is happy to
   answer members' questions about Internet education resources.

5) Members are very smart people with high standards. They come from
   all over the higher education institution, including teachers,
   administrators, student development, and outside experts.