Wes Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Feb 1993 12:05:08 EST
Eric Thomas said:

>What does PGP  do for you? What you  want to hide is the  identity of the
>sender -  username, hostname,  full name.  The header  isn't going  to be
>encrypted.

I agree completely; that's the crux of my objection to anonymous services.
However, we can't successfully hide identities *and* provide full service.
(example: 'bounced mail' error messages could reveal identities)

>PGP buys you nothing. Plus, I wouldn't entrust my safety to an
>algorithm such as PGP or RSA.

Since we can't ensure confidentiality of the source, confidentiality of
the data itself is, in most cases, the next best thing.  PGP may not be
much, but it's an improvement over plaintext.  I said that PGP was a
step in the right direction; I didn't claim that it was a total solution.

--Wes