Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:55:20 -0400
On 19 Jul 00, at 10:29, Sharon Weston <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am structuring my list now and what I need is to be able to combine
> three types of information about each addressee:  where she is (one of six
> regions), her level of status in the organization (four possibilities),
> and which topics of interest she selects (up to twleve). So I might want
> to message all first line supervisors in region 2 who are interested in
> policy on child care.

What kind of lists are they? Are they one-way announcement lists
(i.e., from one person to the membership, like a newsletter) or
discussion lists?

IF they are one-way lists AND you have access to a database (Oracle
or SQL Server for example), then you could store all that information
in the database and have LISTSERV pull the info from the database
when it's time to send out the messages. This would not use
traditional "lists" at all, as the selection of email addresses to
send to would always be done on the fly based on your criteria.

Otherwise, you'll have to go with some kind of combination of
multiple lists, super lists, and topics.

Francoise