Thu, 5 Jan 2006 16:09:21 -0600
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Pete Weiss wrote:

> I thought Usenet/Listserv was superceded by blogs, wikis, RSS, vcasts,
> and VOIP ??
> [tongue in cheek].

Well, over ten years ago Nathan Brindle routinely referred to UseNet as
"UselessNet".  Having run a list which was, over my objections, gatewayed
to UseNet (never again), and spelled for a couple of weeks the listowner of
another gatewayed list, I agree with Nathan's long ago comment.

UseNet doen't like the way LISTSERV does things?  Gee, ain't that just too
bad.  Get rid of the gateway and you won't have the problem.  You want
a Usenet group?  Fine, have one.  You wan't a listserv list?  Fine, have
one.  I have not found gatewayed lists to be worth the trouble caused
by the gateway (besides the point that, in my experience, one gets a
much different clientele on LISTSERV lists and Usenet d.g.s, and they often
don't get along with each other very well).

Douglas Winship    [log in to unmask]