"Stephen W. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:22:39 -0400
I wrote in response to a question on FAQ writing:

> There is a mailing list which I'd recommend (subscription is not
> automated, I don't believe): FAQ-Maintainers-L.  To subscribe, send a
> request to [log in to unmask]  The list is run by
> the folks who coordinate the newsgroup news.answers and the FTP site
> rtfm.mit.edu.  (I also recommend reading the guidelines for
> news.answers posting, stored somewhere on that FTP site, listed
> periodically on news.answers.)

I should have used cut/paste!  Use "consensus", not what I have above.
The following is available on the FTP site I mentioned:

- --------- Selection from RTFM.guidelines: -------------
[snip]
[The most recent copy of this document can be obtained via anonymous
FTP as rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/news-answers/guidelines.
If you do not have access to anonymous FTP, you can get a copy by
sending email to [log in to unmask] with the command "send
usenet/news.answers/news-answers/guidelines" in the message.]
[snip]

    A. faq-maintainers
    subscribe before you even submit your posting to us, or if you
    never plan to.

    Traffic on faq-maintainers tends to come in bursts -- it averages
    three to four messages per day, but during a burst there may be as
    many as several dozen messages in a few hours, and in between such
    bursts, there may be a week of no messages at all.

    with the command "subscribe" in the Subject line.  For information
    about other commands, send the command "help".

- ------ End of selection from RTFM.guidelines ------

Thanks to Blaine E. Thompson ([log in to unmask]) [no relation] for
pointing out my mistake.

En paz,
Steve
--
Stephen W. Thompson, U. of PA, Data Administration, 215-898-1236, WWW has PGP
[log in to unmask]    URL=http://pobox.upenn.edu/~thompson/index.html