Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 23:08:38 -0400
> >     what was the first real mailing list to use listserv?  If it no
> > longer exists , what is the oldest continuing mailing list???
>
> Unfortunately I do not remember for sure which list was the first to be
> created, but I think it may have been RSCSMODS. I think the first real
> list at Texas A&M may have been TAMSEC (same topic, network security).
> The oldest mailing list still in existence is LSTSRV-L, the open forum I
> started to discuss future enhancements to LISTSERV. The first
> recorded posting to LSTSRV-L was on June 30, 1986. LISTSERV was
> barely one week old then, so LSTSRV-L was one of the very first lists.
>
>   Eric

The concept of mailing lists predates LISTSERV by several years,
although I beleive that LISTSERV is the first list server to allow
automated subscribing and unsubscribing.  I think there are older
Internet mailing lists that still continue.  Namedroppers is an older
list, I think.  Is sf-lovers still around?  It's one of the first
mailing lists.

I came onto BITNET in 1985 and joined some mailing lists before
Eric's Revised LISTSERV came out.  It was a significant advancement
of the technology at the time.