Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 11:25:01 -0500
I've been communicating with Tim Williams <[log in to unmask]> who is
sysop of a host that connects to the Internet via netcomsv.netcom.com.  He
has a problem with his mail software.  It bounces undelivered list mail to
the internal From: header instead of the Envelope MAIL FROM (required by
RFC 1123).  As a consequence, list users are annoyed by delivery notices
for list subscribers they have no control over and list owners aren't
alerted to the fact that their list has an incorrect subscriber address.

Tim doesn't get it.  Apparently, he's new and has a "turnkey" system he
really doesn't understand.  I asked the service provider (netcom) to look
into it and give the fellow a hand.  They replied that it's his problem.
Since Mr. Williams insists that his third party mail software company is
large, they must know what they are doing :-(

At this point, I guess all we can do is filter/serve out *@sdoct.com until
someone there is willing to conform to RFC 1123.  As an aside, the bounced
mail that started this whole sequence was from lstown-l.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (860) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (860) 456-7725 fax
   http://mktg.sba.uconn.edu/MKT/Faculty/Sewall.html