Thu, 16 May 2002 10:28:17 -0700
On Thu, 16 May 2002 at 12:22:56AM -0400, Tom Rawson wrote:
> On 15 May 2002 Deborah Shaw wrote:
>
> > Actually, I pay much less attention to HTML mail. I open, see that it's
> > HTML, close, delete. I don't have time to examine it to pick the message
> > out of the artwork, and I won't take the time.
>
> I'm with Deborah.  Virtually all (95%+) of the HTML email I receive is
> spam anyway.  The one exception is stuff from hotmail users who have rich

HTML trips the clueless flag for me, much as very bad grammar does.
Like you and Deborah, I tend to trash HTML mail without reading it.

However, there are MUAs (e.g,.Mutt) that allow the user to choose a
filter for HTML (or anything else that is properly MIME identified).
Here's part of my .mailcap file:

#text/html; lynx -force_html -dump '%s'; copiousoutput
text/html; w3m -dump -T text/html '%s'; copiousoutput
#text/html; w3m -dump '%s'; copiousoutput
#text/html; links %s; needsterminal; nametemplate=%s.html
#text/html; netscape -remote 'openURL(%s)'
image/gif; xv %s
image/jpeg; xv %s
image/jpg; xv %s
application/pgp-keys; pgp -f < %s ; copiousoutput
# application/pgp-signature; pgpv < %s ; copiousoutput
application/pdf; pdftotext %s -; copiousoutput
application/rtf; Ted %s
application/msword; catdoc %s; copiousoutput

HTML is transparently converted to plain text by w3m with no action on
my part. So are PDF, RTF, and M$ Word DOC attachments.

Regards,

-rex