Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 16:53:01 -0400
>>Try the list definition parameter:
>>
>>* CONFIDENTIAL= YES
>
>Or a better fit might be
>
>* Confidential= Service
>
>combined with an appropriate setting of the * Service= parameter.  The
>keyword memo should explain how to set this all up.
>
>-jwgh

It occurs to me that I don't think anyone's explained what all of this is
supposed to accomplish.  Various backbone sites keep track of all of the
public mailing lists out there, which is why whenever you create one your
LISTSERV installation informs all of the backbone sites that you've done
so.  This allows someone to send mail to, say,
[log in to unmask] with a command like "LISTS GLOBAL developer"
in order to get a listing of all public mailing lists anywere that contain
the word "developer" in their description.

Some mailing lists should not be listed anywhere (invitation-only mailing
lists, for instance).  In that case, adding "* Confidential= Yes" to the
header will prevent it from being listed in response to any "LISTS" command
(except by the LISTSERV maintainer and maybe the listowner).

However, you may have a situation where you want the mailing list to show
up if someone local sends a "LISTS" command to your local listserv, but not
if anyone outside your local domain does so.  In that case you tell
LISTSERV what domains are to be considered 'local' by setting the "*
Service=" parameter, and then restrict the LISTS command to that set of
domains by setting "* Confidential= Service".

This all according to my memory of how LISTSERV 1.8c works.  A more
complete (and possibly more accurate and probably more comprehensible)
description of the workings of these parameters can be found in the manual.

-jwgh