Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 10:23:08 +0100
On Mon, 22 Mar 1993 00:12:52 EST "Robert D. Child"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Since--after  seven days--that  hasn't  happened, we  feel compelled  to
>"unlurk" and drop our .02 cents' worth on the table.

The forgery  business started  on the  19th, and  we're the  22nd. That's
hardly seven days; that's one working day and a weekend.

>We're bothered by  the willingness of this list to  allow the discussion
>to focus on technical rather than ethical issues.

The main focus  of the list is indeed technical.  Ethical discussions are
perfectly appropriate, as long as  they don't degenerate into a pointless
religious discussion which never ends.

>Note that,  at the beginning,  Natalie was chastised (evidently  off the
>list as well as on it) for  publicly "flaming" a list member, and it was
>only  after she  defended  herself  and pointed  out  that  the mail  in
>question was  not routed to  a public forum (but  was in fact  a private
>mail) that  even the  most technologically  competent among  us realized
>that the mail in question was not "normal."

I'm not  sure I  understand this  accusation. Are  you suggesting  that I
should check the  logs each and every  time there is a flame  on the list
just on the off chance that it might  be a forgery? If your point is that
it should  have been obvious that  this was not  meant to be sent  on the
list, I don't see what technical competence has to do with realizing that
and, given the history  of this list, it was only a  mild surprise for me
to see Natalie  attack Melvin. I really didn't see  any reason to suspect
there was a fraud,  but maybe I missed the obvious and  I'm sure you will
clarify.

>Once she  pointed this out, those  who would speak for  Melvin noted the
>"obvious" traces  and basically excused  him from any  ill-willed intent
>based upon the ineptitude of the  forgery, saying that he was capable of
>doing better.

I did  not *excuse* Melvin  for the ineptitude  of the forgery.  I merely
stated that  it made it less  likely that it  was a forgery in  the first
place, since Melvin  can do better (as later demonstrated  by Jim Jones).
IF it  was indeed a forgery,  its low-level suggests that  Melvin doesn't
care being traced and will soon speak up, monday his time.

>Everyone seems quite willing to dismiss the fraudulent posting, yet Eric
>Thomas   didn't   hesitate    to   say   that   he    would   "have   no
>gratuitous/unfounded UK-tabloids-like mudslinging on this list."

What this meant  is that we have no  way to know for sure  whether it's a
fraudulous act  or a screwed  up mailer or RSCS.  I could tell  you about
RSCS problems years ago  which made me get the files  of other people and
other people get  my files, and you  only need to search  the archives of
this list to find countless cases  of screwed up mailers. The bottom line
is that I don't want to have people call each other names based on a case
with no evidence.  You don't know Melvin and you  don't know Natalie, and
we don't know if it is a forgery,  so what is the point of exchanging our
views on "whether he did it or not"?

>This calls Natalie's  judgement into question, rather  than pursuing the
>ethical problem of forgery.

This was  just a piece  of advice. Of course  one shouldn't, in  an ideal
world, have to worry about such things, nor should one have to have doors
and lock  them. Pursuing the ethical  problem of forgery is  pointless. I
think everyone will agree that forgery  is unethical, bad, and should not
be condoned.  Where people will disagree  is on how serious  a "crime" it
is. I know a couple people who think that stealing a wallet calls for the
death penalty, and I know others who say  it is ok if the thief is a poor
guy who can't get a job (as opposed  to one who doesn't want to work) and
he returns  the wallet  and ID  card. What's the  point of  talking about
that?

>And this  is the  real question:  why was the  message sent  with forged
>headers, making  it appear that Natalie  had flamed someone in  a public
>forum (i.e., committed an ethical breach)?

This is interesting. You seem to  have already concluded that there *has*
been a forgery. Then  you take it for granted that  flames on public fora
are  unethical. Maybe  in  the US  it  is unethical,  but  in many  other
cultures it  is a normal occurrence.  Where I come from  it is definitely
something you'll  find in most  newspapers, and people think  it's funny.
Maybe that  shocks you,  but then  if I got  one dollar  every time  I am
shocked at something an American says  on a mailing list, I wouldn't need
to work; I'd just have to sit by my terminal a couple hours a day reading
mail or, even better, news. Yours was a $10 message :-)

  Eric