Pat Case <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 May 1999 11:52:41 -0400
Thanks everyone.  I feel more confident about my decision to set Auto-Delete to No.

Pat Case
Librarian
Congressional Research Service
202-707-9104

>>> Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]> 05/20/99 11:56AM >>>
>Thanks, Pete, but I had already raked over those.  I don't see a clear
>explanation of why I sometimes receive singular, immediate error reports
>and why other errors are held to be reported in the next day's daily
>report.  Would love some clarification.

If you're using full auto-delete, any immediate error reports you receive
are from mailers which send bounces in a format Listserv can't interpret --
all others will be dealt with by Listserv and reported in your monitoring
report.

If you're using semi auto-delete, any immediate error reports you receive
are either in a format Listserv can't interpret or are temporary errors --
all permanent errors which Listserv can interpret will be reported in your
monitoring report.

My recommendation?  If you're dealing with subscribers who need to be
handled with kid gloves, don't use auto-delete at all.

Sherry Beauchamp

   Sherry Beauchamp         Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
   [log in to unmask]                   http://www.SSRN.Com

   Leading Social Science Research Delivered to Your Desktop Daily